It’s Oscar time again!
The Super Bowl for movie fans is upon us!
And no Oscar race would be complete without our annual predictions.
And this year is going to be one of the best races in recent Oscar history. Very rarely does the Academy have a lineup full of really great talents and movies that will truly stay with us for a long time (anyone remember Benjamin Button? Yeah, me neither).
The list ranges from
- 12 Years a Slave – an intense experience which never turns into the standard Oscar movie about slavery
- Gravity – a movie showing the beautiful union of gripping storytelling and technical spectacle
- Nebraska (review yet to come) – a very intimate story about what we truly know about our parents and why we should/shouldn’t trust people
- American Hustle – a flashy, fun comedy lead by an ensemble cast of top notch actors enjoying every moment of the ride
- The Wolf of Wall Street – a divisive piece of entertainment which is much complex and layered than many of the critics have made it out to be
And those are just the five nominees who also have a nomination for Best Director. On top of that are so much more brilliant pieces it is actually spooky. I have yet to catch up on Philomena and Dallas Buyers Club but I highly doubt that they will be The Reader or Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close of 2014 – meaning the movie you keep wondering why it was nominated at all.
But now to our tips. As with the last years I sat down with Existential Coffee and we compiled our list for winners. If we disagreed about one category my predictions will be in blue and Existential Coffee’s in red.